WORLD: The David and Leighan Rinker Center for International Learning at Stetson University is committed to supporting and promoting faculty excellence and development in international learning. To that end, WORLD is pleased to be able to offer a limited number of WORLD Class Travel Awards each year.
WORLD Class Travel Awards support work done by faculty to internationalize the campus and curricula. Funds are available to support individual faculty and teams to explore emerging opportunities in different parts of the world that have broad impact on student and organizational learning. Support for individual faculty research should be requested from the appropriate department or school/college instead of WORLD.
Faculty Study Abroad
Funds are available to support international learning by faculty and institutional teams to enrich academic development, expand intercultural competence, and boost innovative approaches to learning, problem-solving and critical thinking.
Funds are available to support individual faculty and teams to explore emerging opportunities in different parts of the the world that have broad impact on student and organizational learning.
Eligibility and Nomination
Visiting, tenure-track, and tenured faculty members at Stetson University are eligible to apply for WORLD Class Travel Awards. Recommendations must be received by your chair, and we ask your chair to inform their dean about the nomination. The recommendation is included as part of the application process. Chairs may recommend more than one faculty member. Applications will be incomplete without the recommendation.
Deadline for AY 2019-2020: October 1, 2019
Applications are invited for WORLD Class Travel Awards. Compete applications comprise of eligibility and post-award agreements, a proposal, and a budget request (including airfare/meals). Funding will be awarded on the basis of the quality of the proposal and the potential contribution to the nominee’s agenda to internationalize courses, curricula, and other scholarly activities. A committee comprised of faculty, staff and academic leaders at Stetson will evaluate proposals for the extent to which the seminar will deepen the applicant's teacher-scholar role and bolster international learning at Stetson.
Submit proposal applications online. Paper submissions will not be accepted. Submissions made after the deadline will not be eligible for review. Successful applicants will receive notification from WORLD: The David and Leighan Rinker Center for International Learning.
• Reporting: A reflective report (1000-1500 words) is due no later than 30 days after the international experience.
• Other Dissemination: Award recipients will present international learning pedagogies and other strategies for internationalizing academic work to faculty and staff at Stetson University. Specifically, awardees will present alongside colleagues at the WORLD Class Lunch & Learn Series and the Sharing Excellence Colloquium at Stetson University. Awardees are encouraged to disseminate findings beyond Stetson University.
• Photos and Artifacts: Submit representative photos as .JPEG or .PNG format. Submit electronic artifacts to firstname.lastname@example.org or deliver to WORLD at 635 Bert Fish Rd., Deland, FL 32723.
• Acknowledgements: Award recipients will acknowledge support for all work resulting from this travel award as follows (or a derivative of statement): Support for this work was made possible, in part, by a WORLD Class Travel Award through WORLD: The David & Leighan Rinker Center for International Learning at Stetson University.
Questions should be directed to Paula Hentz, director of international learning at WORLD at email@example.com.
The application review team uses WORLD's Guiding Principles to evaluate all applications and programs:
- High-impact, engaged and transformative learning for students, faculty, community
- Develops meaningful and reciprocal collaborations and partnerships
- Is inclusive and accessible
- Safe and compliant
- Promotes intellectual and personal development; has a direct connection to student/faculty interests
- Sustainable use of human and financial resources
- Advances internationalization at Stetson and beyond