Study Abroad in Scotland during Summer 2020!
In collaboration with Jacksonville University (JU) and Utah Valley University (UVU), Stetson will be sending students on a faculty-led program to Inverness, Scotland. Students will take classes taught by professors from Stetson, JU, and UVU in the subjects of Marketing, International Business, and Management. Classes will take place at the University of Highlands and Islands-Inverness College, located in Inverness, Scotland - the capital of the Scottish Highlands.
Courses offered include:
- MGMT 305 Principles of Management
- One other Business class TBD
As part of the program, students will engage with the local culture, participate in a consulting project with local businesses, and earn Stetson credit. Students in the School of Business will also fulfill one of the Experiential Learning Requirements (ELR). Students may choose to take either one or two classes while in Scotland.
Part of the program requires a case study project with a local Scottish business, which is a fantastic resume builder! Students work with businesses and apply their coursework to offer solutions to real-world problems in order to help the businesses. The work that students have done in previous years has resulted in direct changes and improvements made in many of the businesses. In the past students have worked with:
- A fashion designer who has designed items for the Queen
- An international shortbread company
- Local craft breweries
- A Highland bakery which provided baked goods for the 2012 London Olympics
- Local social enterprises which supported youth
- A travel company
Students will participate in cultural excursions and activities such as:
- Day-long trips to Isle of Skye and the Cairngorms National Park
- Shorter excursions to nearby sites such as Loch Ness, Urquhart Castle, and Culloden
- Participating in your own Highland Games, a classic Scottish sports tradition
- Attending a traditional Scottish Burns Supper/Ceilidh
No classes are scheduled on the weekends, and there is one four-day weekend built into the program for students who wish to travel to mainland Europe or to other parts of Scotland and the UK. There are several direct flights from Inverness to cities like London, Belfast, Dublin, and Amsterdam. There are also trains and buses that run regularly to places like Edinburgh and Glasgow.
May 28-June 25, 2020 in Scotland. Please plan to arrive in Scotland on May 28th (departing the US on the 27th) to begin the program. Courses will also have an online portion which will need to be completed prior to arriving in Scotland.
Students will either stay in homestays with local Scottish families in Inverness or in residence halls. If staying with a host family, two meals a day are included each day (with the exception of excursion days). If staying in the campus residence hall, two meals a day are provided on weekdays only (with the exception of excursion days).
$5500 includes housing, insurance, partial meal plan, city bus pass, tuition for one 4-credit class, and program excursions and activities. Does not include flight, personal expenses, or meals on excursion days (or weekends, if staying in the residence hall). If a student chooses to take a second class, s/he will owe an additional $996 (tuition for the second class).
Students are encouraged to apply for the Stetson University WORLD Scholarship. The deadline is October 15th.
- A $500 nonrefundable deposit via check or money order (written out to Stetson University) or credit card payment will be due with your application. This deposit goes toward the price of the program.
- The balance will be due by March 16th.
- Program costs listed here are estimates that may change slightly based on international economic circumstances beyond our control (e.g. currency fluctuations or price hikes by our overseas vendors). Participants will be given notice if the price is raised and given a chance to withdraw if necessary.
You are also able to apply for external scholarships as well, for example:
The Fund for Education Abroad has a scholarship for American students looking to study abroad (which includes summer programs). The scholarship is called the Cyril Taylor Memorial Scholarship. The application opens November 11th, 2019.
For more information visit: https://fundforeducationabroad.org
To Learn More:
Please check out the video of previous participants
sharing their stories and experiences from their time in Scotland.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org